Monday, August 12, 2013

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken & First Day of School!!

Whew!

First day of school is over! What a DAY!

I went back to work last week, but there were no students. This morning was our first run where I had to drop off Little Sis first, then get to work (I work at Big Sis' school).

Dropping off Little Sis was quick. We left early, so I actually dropped her off before 8:15 (the earliest there is supervision). No tears, lots of smiles and quick "Good-bye Mom!"

Here she is, on her way to 4th grade! (Notice the Easy LunchBox Cooler bag! This was left from last year, it still has some life in it!)

I got to Big Sis' school at 8:20-ish. We have worked it out that I will actually drop her off down the street before I park in the lot. But not today! She wouldn't let me take her picture up on the sidewalk, so I took what I could get.

Big Sis, 7th grade.

All in all, the girls had a great day. I have a feeling I'm going to L-O-V-E Little Sis' teacher. I'll get to meet her on Thursday. I met a few of Big Sis' teachers already last week, but Back to School night is in a couple weeks, so I'll get to meet them officially then.

On to dinner!!

Another new recipe which was put in the crock pot this morning. I got it from Half My Size

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken

Ingredients
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I actually only used 2 small-ish frozen breasts in my small 2 quart Crock Pot.)
2 Tablespoons light margarine, melted
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup Frank's hot sauce (regular, not Buffalo)
1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
ground black pepper, to taste

Preparation
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine margarine, vinegar, hot sauce, celery seeds and black pepper. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.

This was actually on low in the Crock Pot for about 10 hours, but I did start with frozen chicken. It shredded very easily, so I decided to serve it in flour tortillas, like a chicken soft taco. I didn't add anything else to it, but it would taste good with some cheese and/or sour cream. I was thinking it could also be used to top tostadas with some refried beans. 

It wasn't too spicy, either. Big Sis does NOT like spicy foods (she won't even touch Tapatio).

Kids' Reactions:

Big Sis liked it. She says "it's a little too much on the spicy side for someone who really doesn't like spicy." But she did eat it, and told me she would have seconds and wants me to make it again.

Little Sis liked it, too. She says, "it was a little bit less spicy than I was expecting it to be." 

I enjoyed it very much. In fact, I'm getting ready to go make another taco as soon as I publish this!

So there you have it. The amount of sauce wasn't enough to top the chicken all the way, so if you're using a big crock pot with more chicken, I would double the recipe. If you're using a small amount of chicken (like I did with only 2), the amount this recipe makes is perfect. It also doesn't create too much juice for a taco.

Another score!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Feed

Sponsors


Google Search

Custom Search