Saturday, August 10, 2013

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

It's rare my children will ask for seconds of a brand new dish. This was a huge hit, being touted as better than Panda Express, Dragon Express, and Pick Up Stix.

I got the original recipe from The Comfort of Cooking. I made a few changes, based on the tastes of my family. This recipe below includes my changes, but I will make a note of what I've changed.

CROCK POT HONEY SESAME CHICKEN

Ingredients
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
minced dried onion (original calls for 1/2 cup diced onion)
minced dried garlic (original calls for 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce (original calls for 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (I added this)
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
3 scallions, chopped

Preparation
Place chicken in Crock Pot and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil, ginger and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.

Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred or cube chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. 

In a small bowl, dissolve 4 teaspoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup water; add to crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add chicken to sauce, which will continue to thicken slightly. (Original didn't call to add chicken back to sauce, but I was still waiting for my rice to finish cooking, so I added it back to keep it warm.)

Serve with rice or noodles, adding chicken and sauce to the top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. (Original called for instant rice. I have an awesome rice cooker, so I used that. This would also be great over some Asian noodles.)

Enjoy!

Kids' reaction:

Little Sis loved it! She asked for seconds and ate nearly every little piece of rice.

Big Sis enjoyed it, but didn't ask for seconds. She also didn't want the chicken on the rice, since she puts ketchup on her rice.

My friend and I both enjoyed it, both going back for seconds. I'm bummed there isn't more left over for lunch on Monday. 

In my Cozi Calendar, this has been listed as "Family Favorite" and "Kids Love." I have a feeling I'll be making this again before the month is over!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Your comments are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Feed

Sponsors


Google Search

Custom Search